Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Noticias da Beira


by a newspaper photographer
Beira, Mozambique in the early 1970s
That's my Dad. I am now reading a book written by a reporter that worked for this newspaper during the same time period as my father. I find myself working on a puzzle, where I can see what was going on in Beira in this decade, from my father's perspective. He never did share much of what went on, including the dire situation we about to find ourselves in. I have seen pictures of his workplace and I can imagine the conversations that took place there. I remember listening to political discussions he had with his peers even if I could not see what he saw. I envied his access to the world beyong Matacuane, and I have been on a mission to piece together my history in Mozambique.

No comments: