Sunday, July 20, 2008

Being one with the earth

I cherish being able to place my hands in dirt, even if my nails take 2 weeks to recover from the experience. The front yard and I have standing dates 2 or 3 times a year. I bring out the trash bags, the cutting tools, the rake, and the broom.

This fern has been with us for years, loving the shady spot it calls home.

This other fern also likes shade, as does the brand new palm that Grasshopper had to have.

These are more of that fern, and aloe.

These yucas have to be thinned out and cleared of the dry, dark pieces. I can sit with it for hours until they look pretty.

I also pitch forked countless ruelia roots away from the walls in preparation for their washing and painting.

It's garden nirvana.


1 comment:

African Kelli said...

Oooh, I think you'll love this blog. This is what I am hoping for when I buy a house and have a bit more space for gardening:
http://www.agardeninthedesert.com/